Shapes (1/?) Fall 2013
You have to let those feelings inside of you. You have to let them be a part of you. You have to accept them. Then you can heal.
i like this but i don’t fully understand it…
you don’t understand how sad this is. each adult is a cross, and each child has been crucified by said cross.
- the priest (i assume he’s a priest, correct me if i’m wrong) killed the little boy in one way or another, probably rape, which is common among corrupted clergy men.
- the tourist comes to an overcrowded, poverty stricken country, taking up any and all resources that could have gone to the little native girl
- the soldier comes to fight for his country, but ends up killing the innocent girl, probably in her village.
- the little boy dies under the doctor’s knife
- the man kills the little girl in a school shooting (represented with the uniform)
- the “fat” kid is killed by obesity caused by a fast food epidemic in america, most commonly mcdonald’s, shown by ronald mcdonald himself.
this is /haunting/ to look at. children can die at anyone’s hand. even the “heros”
Ehhhh the doctor-patient child doesn’t seem to fit with this overarching theme to me. Like, any time any person goes under the knife they are put at risk. These other children represented, seem like true victims. Maybe I’m just not understanding.
The first three were all references to sexual abuse, at least I assumed. The priest molests the boys, the white tourist gets a child prostitute in a developing nation, and the soldier assaults a young muslim girl. I don’t really get the doctor one, and definitely don’t think it fits. The Sandy Hook reference is obvious in the next one. And I’m finding the McDonald’s one a bit troubling too. I mean, conflating being overweight with being murdered or sexually assaulted is pretty fucked up.
Over all though, definitely a heart stopping piece. That second one hit me hard. I rarely think about the epidemic of American tourists getting child prostitutes or sex slavery in general, but it’s reaaaaally more common than most would think.